Dear non-Muslims, I’m Sorry.

“I’m sorry.” They said. For the umpteenth time. It occurred to them that, in fact, they had nothing to be sorry for but if they didn’t say it, life would be much harder.

***

Dear non-Muslims,

I’m sorry that innocent people all over the world have been killed.

I’m sorry that the killers associate themselves with my religion.

I’m sorry that these terrorists groups are somehow being funded and are able to exist.

I’m sorry that people have been marginalised and ostracised to the extent that they were able to be radicalised.

I’m sorry that Muslims who are killed by terrorists get little to no coverage in the media.

I’m sorry that you don’t understand my religion.

I’m sorry that you think I am responsible for any act of terror because people who carry out those acts claim to follow the same religion as me.

I’m sorry that you don’t realise these people in fact, go against every principle I believe in.

I’m sorry that you blame me.

I’m sorry you see my headscarf and look at me suspiciously.

I’m sorry you see my headscarf and don’t see a person, a woman, but an image of terror.

I’m sorry you see my brothers with beards and move away from them.

I’m sorry a bearded brother with a backpack is even more reason to move – quickly.

I’m sorry that you walk through airports care-free while beards and headscarves are questioned relentlessly.

I’m sorry that I have to explicitly vocalise my disagreement with terrorists, otherwise you will think I sympathise with them.

I’m sorry that you see sisters covering from head to toe or brothers with long beards and you call them extremists.

I’m sorry that if we say the words Allahu Akbar – words we utter in our 5 daily prayers – you will look at us fearfully.

I’m sorry that a Muslim with a different coloured passport is even more suspicious.

I’m sorry that Muslim immigrants and refugees are portrayed to be dangerous to the extent that you don’t want them here at all.

I’m sorry that I have to say sorry.

I’m sorry that I have to be sorry for all of these things and you have to be sorry for nothing.

Sincerely,

Scottish Muslimah

20 thoughts on “Dear non-Muslims, I’m Sorry.

1. SwedishSquadleader says:

I’m sorry you have to say you’re sorry. I understand the feeling, but really – you don’t have to say you’re sorry. We’re probably commonly sorry every time someone innocent dies. No matter religion or views. That’s the human way of dealing with things. I think I should post something on the topic. Always love your posts! πŸ™‚

2. Miss Moga says:

I really liked your post, I am tired that whenever anything happens, “in the name of islam” that I am supposed to automatically apologise. Heck I am already offending someone somewhere just because I am a black African, muslim and a woman!
    I am just exhausted. Of course I am sad for any innocent loss of life or someone who experienced problems with muslims but I am not them and they are not me.

Thank you so much! Exactly, it’s so tiring. That’s so true, it’s even harder for Muslims who are black. All the negative stereotypes are so damaging.
      Exactly, it’s the hypocrisy – the way a non-Muslim white male isn’t expected to be accountable or apologetic for any crime committed by their counterparts.

3. R.L. Casper says:

I am happy to see a strong Muslim woman stand up and speak the truth. The truth cuts through all prejudice and exposes such ignorance for what it is: fear, insecurity, inability to acclimate on the part of non-Muslims! and self-loathing. Inch by inch you work for good. It always pays off.

4. Pinkspen says:

Reblogged this on LADYHOOD and commented:
    There are so many words that I can give about the importance of this post, but I think reading it provides you with enough insight to its purpose and value. Thank you https://scottishmuslimah.com/author/imsafiyah/
    for speaking out against stereotypical discrimination that Muslims face! You are such a strong advocate and I appreciate your voice and your purpose in educating those who have a bias against Muslims!

5. Aqsa ❀ says:

As a fellow Muslim living in Canada, I absolutely agree to the truth in your words and the sad reality – I think that everyone should give this a read, because of the strong points you raise!Thank you for sharing πŸ™‚ ❀ xx

Aqsa ❀